Monday, December 2, 2019

Monday, 12/2


Okay, I’ll be the first to admit it. I really need to stop looking through those catalogs piling up in my apartment.

Because of all the snow yesterday I was stuck inside and, for some bizarre reason, spent a little while leafing through a few more of those catalogs I was talking about last week.  And in one of them I cam across something that either delighted me to no end or blew my mind. I can’t quite figure out which yet, although I am working on figuring out which.

Now, those of you who know me really well know that one of my little, uhm, peculiarities is that I make up my own lyrics and own titles to existing songs, or just plain make up my own songs. I hear some tunes so often that I just start to sing my own versions for no particular reason, much to the eternal joy of Loraine, who says that’s the reason she married me.

Well, it’s either the reason she married me or the reason she constantly wants to slap some sense into me. One of the two. And I‘ll figure THAT out once I figure out my feeling about this catalog.

Anyway, the catalog belongs to Collector's Choice Music, a catalog and site where, in the past, I’ve purchased some hard-to-find music. This particular edition of the catalog has a holiday music section, and in that section I noticed a series of Christmas albums from American Beat music. And when I saw the titles of their versions of holiday classics, I knew that I had found out someone much more talented and warped than I.

Because, you see, from albums with titles like “Christmas at the Trailer Park, Y’all” and “If Toothpaste Tasted Like Christmas Dinner”, you get songs like this--

“Rudy the Redneck Reindeer”,

“Frosty The Beer Mug”,

“We’re Having Roadkill For Christmas Dinner”,

“We Wish You A Merry Mullet”

“All I Want For Christmas Is A New Tattoo”

And, perhaps, my personal favorite,

“My Christmas Turkey Was Beef Jerky”.

Wow. After reading some of those song titles, I just don’t know what to say. I feel like, all of a sudden, the bar on absurdity has been raised so high that I have to reconsider my place in the universe. I mean, I probably couldn’t come up with song titles like that. Or, if I could, I probably couldn’t put them in a blog that, on occasion, actually aspires to good taste.

Artists of American Beat music, I stand humbled before you. And I’m sure Loraine does, too. Either that, or she’s really happy she’s not married to YOU.

One of the two.


No comments:

Post a Comment