Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Wednesday, 1/23


Here's my next culinary challenge--



Yup. That's a package of Kaiserschmarrn mix, Kaiserschmarrn being the German dessert Loraine and I tried when in Bavaria last year. You may remember the story; we had already eaten a huge meal when they gave us what's basically two pounds of fried pancake covered with a fruit topping--



And we managed to finish it, the troupers that we are. Anyway, it was so good that we decided we'd like to try & make it ourselves. Thankfully, our friends at German Shop have pre-made Kaiserschmarrn mix you can buy, and we're looking forward to devouring the two packages that just arrived. First, though, we have to overcome a few problems.

Namely, the instructions for making it are in German, and the measurements are in metric. But once I figure out what 100 milliliters of milk looks like, and once I learn how to read German, we should be okay. Really, we should.

8-)

I'm actually not too worried about one aspect of that. Converting from metric to whatever the heck it is we use isn't too hard, if you know what's what. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem. And the instructions on the back of the package do have a few pictograms, so that you kinda get the idea of how to make it. But I do foresee a few sessions on Google Translate so that I make it with no problems. After all, it's Kaiserschmarrn.

You wanna get it right.

Assuming I do make it the way it's supposed to be made, we then have a big decision in front of us. What do we put on top once it's gooey and warm and bubbling in front of us? We have two packages, and since it's Bavarian custom to put some kind of fruit on top, I'm thinking for one we could do a cherry or dark berry compote. Cover it with a little powdered sugar, and it should be heavenly. But for the second? I'd like to try something a little different, something that's maybe not traditionally Bavarian in nature.

I'm actually thinking Nutella. Because, you know, there aren't enough calories and grams of fat in Kaiserschmarrn just as is. But we'll see.

I'm not quite sure when I'll get to this project. Because of my packed schedule I know it won't be this weekend, and next weekend is Super Bowl weekend. All I know is that sometime in the near future I'm gonna try to make the Kaiserschmarrn, and hope that it's dummy-proof enough that even someone who doesn't read a lick of German can figure it out.

Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment