Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tuesday, 1/22


Here's one of the things I did this past weekend (aside from losing body parts to the cold)--



What—you always knew I was a 12-year old at heart, right?

8-)

The Lego space shuttle I spent an hour or so constructing Sunday was actually a Christmas gift from Loraine's nephews & niece. They know I'm space geek, so they always get me something related to spaceflight. One year it was an astronaut cookbook; another, it was a package of Apollo-Soyuz cigarettes in a display case (surely, one of the most bizarre gifts I've even been given). This year, it was the Lego space shuttle, a gift that Loraine says made me squeal when I opened it.

Believe it or not, I never really played with Legos as a kid, so I had no idea what to expect. It was, however, a 200-piece three dimension puzzle that challenged both my spacial skills and my aptitude for handing really small pieces of plastic without dropping them on the floor (spoiler alert—that's an aptitude I need to work on). I was actually stunned by the complexity of the project. The box said it was for 7 to 12-year olds; if that's the case, I'm pretty sure 7-year olds today are a LOT smarter than I was a 7-year old.

I'm just saying.

I also walked away from the project with admiration for the engineers who design these toys. Not only could I built a space shuttle from the parts, but if I wanted to I could take it apart and use the pieces to built a moon buggy, or a Mars surface crawler. That means that each piece of plastic had to serve three different purposes for three different projects. I have no idea how long it would've taken the Lego engineers to put the plan for the “toys” together, but I'm guessing it was quite a while. And I'm also guessing that a lot of brain power was devoted to the project, as well.

I guess there are toys, and then there are “toys”. That's a difference I learned Sunday while putting together my Lego space shuttle. And I also figure that, should I ever decide to play with Legos again, even at my advanced age, it'll be okay.

After all, look at all the work that goes into it!



No comments:

Post a Comment