Thursday, January 24, 2019

Thursday, 1/24


The next 48 hours should be interesting.

Here's what I mean. Starting at 5 tonight, I have a 48 hour span where each and every single “Jim” gets to do something, and hopefully do it well. It starts tonight when History Jim has his big (and the SOLD OUT!) “What's Up, Dock” show with Jack Deo at Kaufman for the History Center. After a little sleep, TV Jim has to get up and shoot "High School Bowl" Friday morning. Radio Jim then spends the day Friday doing whatever the heck it is Radio Jim does. Tomorrow night, Normal Jim (and quit giggling; even though it sounds like an oxymoron is THIS a Normal Jim) has to take care of whatever it is Normal Jim does (namely running & grocery shopping) on a Saturday, because all day Saturday Finish Line Jim gets to announce the names of all 1,700 (or so) skiers coming across the finish line at theNoquemanon.

Then all the Jims combine into one and pass out.

Actually, I have no doubt I'll be able to physically do it all. I'm a little worried about my voice holding out, but as long as I don't talk when I don't need to talk, and I drink a lot of tea, I should be okay. Nope; the thing I'm kinda curious about is the decompression aspect of it all. Or, more to the point, the lack-of-decompression aspect of it all.

Let me explain—normally, when you do something “big”, like put on a history show in front of 850 people, or host a TV show, or announce 1,700 names, you like to “decompress” afterwards. You like to put your feet up, and reflect upon what just happened (or, at least, that's what I like to do). But with so many events in the next 48 hours coming bam-bam-bam, one right after the other, I won't have the chance to do that. I'll either be rushing from event to event, preparing for the next event to come up, or trying to fit in things like eating & sleeping. From the time I hit the stage at Kaufman to the time I announce the last person coming across the Noque finish line, I'll have done a whole bunch of amazing stuff.

I just have to hope I remember what it all was.

Now, I'm not complaining. After all, I know just how fortunate I am to be able to do all this. And I'm gonna have a blast doing it all. This may be picky on my part, but I just wish I'd have a few minutes to appreciate it all while it's happening, instead of looking back on it a few days later and hoping I got everything out of the 48 hours that I hoped to.

Oh well; that's life. And it all starts later tonight at Kaufman. Hope to see you at one or more of the events. I highly doubt there will be one of these tomorrow; if there is, it may just be a few words or a picture from “What's Up, Dock”. Otherwise, a full report on Monday assuming, of course, I'm still alive.

Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment