Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Tuesday, 1/15


It was the best of teas, it was the worst of teas.

Okay, I suppose I should apologize to Mr Dickens for stealing such a great line for such a trivial subject, but I couldn't come up with anything more appropriate. Because of the weather I've been drinking a lot of the tea I brought back from Germany recently, and among the tea I've been drinking is one of the best I've ever tasted and one of the worst I've ever tasted.

See why I butchered the opening line from “A Tale of Two Cities”?

Some of you may remember that one of my many strange habits while touring Europe is to grab various bags of tea from hotel breakfast bars, bring them home, and then sample them over the next few months, Mostly, the stash consists of various kinds of green tea with mint, which I love but which Loraine forbids me from drinking while at breakfast because the smell doesn't agree with her that early in the morning. Aside from the mint teas I also grab stuff that looks weird and/or interesting. Sometimes I strike gold; other times, I wonder why a certain tea was ever produced.

And so it goes with this collection.

One of my favorite teas ever is this South African Rooibos with Vanilla--



It's a mild red tea with a great vanilla flavor. It's so good, in fact, that I bought a whole of box of it while we were over there last year. Don't judge; some people buy souvenir T-shirts, I buy souvenir boxes of tea.

I would not, however, ever buy a box of this tea--



“Heisser Hugo” is a lime tea, which I thought might be good. I love lime, after all. However, since my German is almost non-existent I didn't realize that it's not just a lime tea but, instead, an elderberry/lime tea. Germans seem to love bitter flavors, and while I really try to fit in over there that's one thing I can't seem to get into. In fact, the one chocolate bar I've ever come across that I don't want to try again is a dark chocolate-lingonberry bar I picked up in Berlin a few years ago.

I'm sorry. Bitter just doesn't do it for me.

Now, having said that, here's the other tea I can't get enough of--



What is it, you ask? Well, I answer, it's a Fennel/Anise/Caraway herbal tea. Yeah, I know I just spent the preceding paragraph saying about how I don't like really bitter taste, and yet here I am, admitting I like a tea that tastes vaguely of black licorice and a bitter version of lettuce.

Don't worry. Some days, I can't figure myself out either.

So if you're ever in a store looking at teas (or paying a visit to Spice Merchants, one of my favorite places in downtown Marquette), look for a tea with vanilla in it. I promise you won't go wrong. If you see one with elderberry, though, feel free to take a pass. Of course, you can take all that with a grain of salt.

After all, I'm also the person who drinks a tea with fennel and caraway seed in it. I may not be the best person to offer advice on the drink.

8-)





No comments:

Post a Comment