Thursday, July 5, 2018

Thursday, 7/5


I wonder if anyone got the joke?

Tuesday I was talking on the air about all kinds of 4th of July events going on around the U.P., and one of the events I mentioned was Baraga's upcoming Lumberjack Days. It's a neat festival, something that community does every Fourth of July, and while I was mentioning it and describing what activities were going on, I threw in the off-handed comment that maybe they'd even be singing “the Monty Python song”.

Based on estimates, right now about four of you are laughing. The rest of you are going “huh”? And it' was probably the same when I mentioned it Tuesday afternoon.

For those of you who don't know—and that's probably all of you with taste and intelligence and a lack of love for sophomoric humor--”The Lumberjack Song” is a Monty Python classic. It starts off with a bunch of lumberjacks singing about a love for their job, and then quickly devolves into, well, this--



There. Now that you've heard the song and watched the segment, I hope you don't think anything less of me. Or of the fact that I mentioned it on the radio. But as my favorite comedian ever (Jack Benny) once said, if, in a show of 100 jokes, you can't do one gag that just appeals to you, where's the fun in it? So when I was standing in front of the mic Tuesday, talking about the festival, and the song came into my head; well, let's just say that if the joke doesn't work, we can just blame Jack Benny.

Besides, he's been dead for almost 44 years. It's not like he can complain.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com), who will try to be an adult today. The operative word, of course, being “try”.

No comments:

Post a Comment