Friday, July 13, 2018

Friday, 7/13 (!)


Okay. Everyone can stop it now!

Let me start by apologizing in advance to Marquette-area media consumers the past day or two. I didn't try to get myself on the front page of the Mining Journal and on all three commercial TV stations in one day. Really, I didn't. And when you add in all the usual radio stuff that I did, plus the “What's Up” segment that aired on Fox UP last night...

Like I said, I'm sorry about yesterday. I hope your TV didn't blow up, your radio didn't melt, and that your newspaper didn't burn through the skin of your hands.

Why did I live up to my (jokingly) derisive nickname of “Jim Koski, Media Wh*re”? Well, because of the “Docks of Iron Bay” tour I gave Wednesday night. I don't know why this one attracted so much attention, after all, it's not like I haven't done tours or programs for the History Center before. But for some reason, out of the 20 or 21 different programs & tours I've done (so many, in fact, that I've actually lost track) this one brought the journalists out of the woodwork.

I'm guessing it was just a slow news day, and their editors and news directors were getting REALLY antsy. That's my guess.

While I certainly don't need it, at least one of the stories does, through a picture, shine the spotlight on someone who DOES deserve the attention—my human speaker stand, Chicky-Poo. When I saw the picture splashed across the from page of the Mining Journal yesterday my first thought was “Ugh. All you can see is the gray hair on the right side of my head”. But then I noticed that it also showed my dad standing right next to me, holding portable speaker I use high above his head. It's the second time in a month he's done it. He doesn't need to; he just does it out of the goodness of his heart.

So thanks a bunch, dad. I tried to get the Mining Journal to cut me out of the picture and just leave you in, but they wouldn't listen. Sorry about that.

8-)

On that note, have yourself a great weekend. I promise—PROMISE--that I'll try to stay out the media the next few days!






No comments:

Post a Comment