Thursday, July 12, 2018

Thursday, 7/12


In the past months I've done three tours and historical program. And that, I believe, sets a record even for me.

At least now I get to sit back a breathe.

Last night's dock tour went well. In fact, you want proof?



That's just a sampling of the estimated 140 or 150 people who showed up to hear a dork talk about ore docks and hookers and watch him point out all those little things you may have never noticed that are still around from the era when Marquette's Lower Harbor was actually used to ship out the iron ore mined in the western portion of the county.

Thanks for coming out, everyone. Hope you had a good time. Hope you learned a few things. And hope I didn't talk too much about hookers. I tried my best.

8-)

For the next two months, at least, I'm now tour and program-free. Unlike the past few years I won't be doing a late night, outdoor, stand-up-comedy-sprinkled-with-history show, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. I always enjoy putting those together, although they are a lot of work. There's just something kinda special about joining a bunch of people outside at 1030 on a Friday night and cracking PG-13 jokes about Marquette's history.

Maybe I'll have to come up with a new idea for next year. We'll have to see about that.

The only other program I have on my calendar now for the rest of this year is coming up in September. It is the 90th anniversary of the construction of the Graveraet School in Marquette, and they're celebrating with a bunch of activities. One of those activities will consist of a dork talking about the history of Marquette schools, Graveraet in particular, at Kaufman Auditorium (one of, I must say, my favorite places to put on a history show.)

But that's two months from now. For now, my month of tours is done. Now I won't know what to do with myself.

(jim@wmqt.com), who certainly DOES know what to do with himself the rest of the summer!

(ps—I know you don't care, but if you have the chance watch tomorrow's (Friday's) leg of the Tour de France. It starts in a very cool place that's a lot like Marquette (Fougeres) and ends in one of my favorite places in the whole country, Chartres. You can bet I'll be glued to every single second of the scenery!)


No comments:

Post a Comment