Friday, August 30, 2019

Friday, 8/31


I have got to stop using the word “literally”.

Literally.

It’s funny; every so often, I’ll notice that I use a word WAAAAAAY too often, and this time around that word is “literally”. I noticed it when I was giving the downtown tour to the DDA's Parking Advisory Committee yesterday morning; while explaining some of Marquette’s wonders, I realized that in each description of a building or a person I used the “L” word, and had to mentally make myself stop doing it.

(I WAS going to say I had to “literally make myself stop”, but see? I’m getting better at it!)

I don’t know how I get into a word rut like that. I just know that it happens every so often, and I usually don’t notice it. I’ll have Loraine or someone come up to me or drop me a note and say something like “have you notice you say (fill in the blank) an awful lot?” To which my reply would probably something like “really? I literally say it that much?” And the vicious cycle starts all over again, as I stop saying the offending word and start saying “literally” (or whatever) again.

This time, though, I caught it myself, which means that maybe, just maybe, I’m becoming aware of my verbal faults. Maybe, just maybe, I’m starting to realize my dependence on certain words or certain phrases. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll end up as an erudite young man who no longer uses certain words as crutches and who no longer drives certain phrases into the ground.

And, while we’re at it, maybe I can get my own spaceship, too? That’s probably more likely than me ever dropping all of my verbal faults!

Literally!

8-)

Have yourself a great holiday weekend. I'm going to experience a Marquette Labor Day for the first time in 14 years. This could actually (not literally) be fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment