Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Tuesday, 8/27


I'm not much of a guy. But two things that happened Sunday did make me think that there is still a little “dude” inside of me.

As you may know, I'm really not big into sports, just one of the ways in which I can honestly claim that “I'm not much of a guy”. That's just the way it is. We have an ESPN station under our roof at work, and every time we get a new sports director in they look at me like I'm either insane or a human computer when they find out I don't know (or care) about whose RBI is what or whether or not some basketball player finished their TPS reports before getting drafted.

I just don't know, and I just don't care.

That being said, there are two sports franchises to which I do pay attention. The first would be the Indianapolis Colts. The one sport I have always liked is football (just the NFL, though. College football seems like a whole different universe to me) and after growing up as a Lions fan Loraine made me choose another team for whom to cheer and perhaps, one day before I die, see them win a Super Bowl. I chose the Colts because of the brainpower of Peyton Manning, and continued to cheer them when he was replaced by Andrew Luck.

I know...who else would choose a favorite team because they had a smart quarterback? I told you I'm not much of a guy.

Anyway, Andrew Luck retired Sunday at the age of 29. He was just tired of getting beat up and trying to recover from injuries, and decided to walk away while he could still literally walk away. I don't blame him for that; heck, I actually admire him for doing that. But still, when I saw the headline Sunday morning, I actually let out my second involuntary scream of the weekend (following the snowblower I saw Saturday).

So that was the first shock of Sunday.

The other sports team to which I pay attention would be RB Leipzig, the Bundesliga team Loraine and I went to see play in April. Their superstar is named Timo Werner, who's a goal scoring machine and one of the best players on the planet. Well, Timo's contract was running out, and everyone who covers European soccer was convinced he'd be sent off to another team before that happened. But just four hours after I found out Andrew Luck was retiring Loraine let me know that Timo Werner had signed a three-year extension to his contract, which means that he'll be in Leipzig until 2023, and which means that we'll be able to see him again when we go back for another game next May

To quote some other dude who probably didn't care too much about sports, Sunday was the best of times, and it was the worst of times. I just had no idea it would be because of the only two sports teams I even pay attention to anywhere on the planet.


No comments:

Post a Comment