Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Tuesday, 9/3


It's now September. My life is over.

Okay, I'll shut up now. I'm being a drama queen, and I know it. But as I wrote a couple of weeks ago this is the one and only thing that gets me even slightly depressed, and that's the end of “summer”. And this year, I think, it might be even worse, because I really don't know that we had much of a “summer”, at least here in Marquette. June was a little wetter and cooler than usual, July was a little warmer and dryer than average, and August was just, well, weird.

How weird? How about the fact that it only hit 80 four days during the entire month. And, according to the National Weather Service, it's been almost 10 degrees BELOW average for the past two weeks. That's just not right.

In a strange way, I have to laugh about the weather and how it's treating us. As I've mentioned recently, this is the time that we're usually in Europe, and for six of the past seven years that's meant this is when it's rainy and cold in Europe. However, because we're not there this year, it's been in the 80s and 90s with sun the past five days. So instead of, say, last year, when the first five days of our trip were rainy and in the 50s, it's been glorious over there.

Here? Not so much. It's been cool and except for a few days this past weekend, rainy. Think Mother Nature's trying to fool with us?

8-)

Admittedly, what I call glorious my European friends may call horrid, as they're suffering through their third hottest summer in history, thanks to climate change. But (and this is just me being me) I'd much rather go through the third hottest summer in history than the cloudy and cool blahs we've been given. That's just me; I'm sure your opinion may vary. I'm just hoping that this cloudy & cool “summer” weather doesn't become our new normal. After all, Mother Nature's trying to compensate for all the damage we're doing to her, which is why weather (including our wet & cool summers) is becoming so extreme everywhere on the planet.

But you know what? I'm sure none of that matters to you the way it matter to me. I'm sure you're able to handle whatever comes your way with less than 1 percent of the complaining I do about it. I'm sure you don't obsessively wonder why summer hasn't lived up to your dreams. And I'm absolutely sure that you don't look at the weather a quarter of the way around the world and wonder why a planetary atmospheric system has it in for you and only you.

I'm sure you don't. Just as I'm sure that you don't think September is the end of the world as you know it. So with that in mind, I pledge not to mention the weather the rest of the month, even if just keeps going downhill, even if it turns out to be glorious, or even (gasp) if we see snowflakes in the air.

Well, maybe I reserve the right to complain just a little if we see snowflakes in September. Because, I'm thinking, that might be a little more than even you guys could handle, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment