Monday, August 26, 2019

Monday, 8/26


I don’t like what I saw in the back of the truck.

Don’t worry; I’m not about to go on another Cranky Old Man (in training) rant. It’s just that when I was out over the weekend I saw something in the back of a pickup truck, something so repellent and anti-ethical to my way of life that I actually (albeit involuntarily) cringed when I came up on it. Yes, it was that bad.

What did I see in the back of the pickup truck? A snow blower, looking ready for action. See? I told you it was bad.

I realize that after a sadly short summer the more moderate temperatures of the past few days have people already preparing for fall. I realize that the un-naturally early changing of many green leaves to red in the last week has many people thinking of fall. And I’m sure the fact the NMU students start classes in today also has many people thinking of fall.

But getting your snow blower out? When it’s August and still ( at least this past weekend) over 70 degrees? No wonder I let out an involuntary shudder!

Now I realize that whoever owned the truck probably just had the snow blower in the back of their vehicle to take it to get tuned up for winter. I understand that. But why so early in the year? Why August? I mean, it’s not like it’s gonna snow soon. After all, it’s not like Marquette’s earliest recorded snowfall was on September 18th and it’s not like September 18th’s less than a month away, and it’s not like. . .

Okay. I should probably stop while I’m ahead, right?

Those of you who’ve read this for a long time know that I have trouble handling the change from summer to fall. We’re leaving my favorite time of the year and beginning the transition to my least favorite time of the year. Summer’s too short, and winter’s too long, and to be reminded of that by the sight of a snow blower while it’s still August is just, well, a little too much.

At least for a dork like me. And that, I’m guessing is what led to the involuntary shudder. Summer, we hardly knew ye!


No comments:

Post a Comment