Thursday, August 22, 2019

Thursday, 8/22


Yay. No one got into a fight last night.

The Jim Koski ™ tour of South Marquette was a smashing success. Don't believe me?

Photo courtesy of Amy Rickard


That's just part of the crowd of around 200 people strolling the streets of SoMa. It seems like everyone had a good time, there were a lot of laughs, and even though some of the people did disagree on where South Marquette actually begins (see yesterday's entry for more), everyone was civil about it.

Apparently, people don't get quite as passionate and/or mean about stuff when they're face to face with others and not hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. So thanks to everyone who showed up, and thanks to everyone who kept it civil. Hope you had a good time.

Oh, and we apologize to anyone who had trouble driving through the area.  We didn't mean to block that much of the street with what someone called a "zombie horde"...really, we didn't!

8-)

Now, that leaves just one event left in my “Summer of History”, and that's my portion of the “Beer History” program at the History center on September 4th. My task is to tell stories of stuff people do while drunk; my problem is trying to cut enough of them out so that I don't go over my 20-minute limit.

I'm going on last in the program, after everyone's been drinking beer for awhile. That should be a blast.

However, there is one thing I'm lacking, and maybe you can help. One of the places about which I'll be telling stories is the Alibi, and there's something rather strange about the Alibi. What's that, you ask? Well, I answer, I have never been able to find a picture of the Alibi when it was the Alibi, inside or out. You can get a picture of as it is now; you can find high school yearbook (!) ads for it, but in all the shows I've done about Marquette bars I've never, ever come across an actual picture of it.

I know. Everyone who went there was too bust doing other things to take a picture, right?

So, I'm putting the word out. If you have a picture of the Alibi, inside or out, or know someone who does, please let me know. I'd like to use it on the 4th. Based on past experience I'm not expecting anyone to have it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? And if I could find one, it would go perfectly with the stories about dancing the Alligator and the tales of Jell-O wrestling that I'm getting ready.

It should be fun night. That's for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment