Friday, August 23, 2019

Friday, 8/23


Okay. You can stop it now!

When we last met, I was mentioning how successful my Jim Koski ™ walk through South Marquette for the Marquette Regional History Center seemed to be. I put a picture up, made sure I hit “save”, and then promptly started to think about other things.

That was, apparently, a mistake.

By the time I got to work there were all kinds of Facebook posts and pictures about the tour. I had to do a newspaper interview about it. I had to do an online interview about it. And I had to do a TV interview about it. I've had some surreal mornings in my life, but yesterday came pretty darn close to being the most surreal of them all.

Wow.

I'm kinda overwhelmed by the response to it all. I do a lot of these history things, and you never know which ones will connect with people and which ones won't. And when there's this...rush of nice comments about the tour and how much people enjoyed it or about how they missed it yet heard such good things about it; well, it just kind of blows my mind.

In a good way, mind you, but it still blows my mind.

And as for the three interviews about the walk I've given since it wrapped up? Well, I'm just guessing that media in Marquette has run out of interesting and/or important people to deal with. That's pretty much the only explanation I can come up with. I mean, sure...there may have been a news angle to the story, in that we did indeed clog a few South Marquette streets for a few minutes, and that's all on me, but other that that...

It must have been a slow news day. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Nonetheless, it's nice to know that everyone had a good time. I do put a fair amount of work into all of these tours and programs, and to hear nice comments about them (like the lady who said I was “smart, funny, & knowledgeable”, three things we all know I'm not) is edifying.

Even if it still blows my mind.

So on that note, have yourself a great weekend. Enjoy the sun we've been promised, and if you see me wandering around not actually paying attention to anything, realize that I'm still just trying to comprehend it all. After all, it's not every day your world gets tossed around like that.



No comments:

Post a Comment