Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Tuesday, 10/31

It may sound like the grossest thing in the world, but trust me—it was amazing.

First of all, Happy Halloween. Today's blog, despite the fact that I mentioned something gross, has nothing to do with the holiday. But I hope you enjoy the day nonetheless. And seeing as how it's kinda cold out, at least here in Marquette, you may celebrate your Halloween with some nice, warm soup, right?

That's what we're discussing today. Soup.

This past Saturday Loraine and I went out to Republic for our annual soup feast. Loraine's been adopted into an extended family out on the West End; every year around this time we head out there, show the pictures from our latest trip, and eat a lot of soup. Wanda, our hostess, always goes out of her way to make three different kinds of soups, and in the 7 or 8 years we've been doing it I don't think she's come up with a bad one. This year, she wanted to go out on a limb and try something a little different. She wasn't sure if it would work, but she saw a recipe and just had to try it.

And that's how I came to try Dill Pickle Soup.

I know, right? Soup made out of dill pickles is not the first kind of “oh, yum!” soup that pops into your mind. In fact, just about every single person at the soup feast went, “huh?” when first told about it. But just about every single person also went back for seconds (or thirds) after trying it. It's that good. I never thought that the combination of shredded dill pickles, chicken, potatoes, cream, and spices would work as a soup, but it does. It wasn't overly pickle-flavored, but it had enough pickle-ness to it to really make it stand out.

And stood out it did, even moreso than the Cheeseburger and Greek Chicken soups that Wanda also made. Both of those were amazing, and I had multiple bowls of both. But Cheeseburger and Greek Chicken are flavors you'd expect in soups. Dill Pickle certainly isn't.

But it rocks.



(p.s.--Wanda did give me the recipe; shoot me a note if you have the courage!)

No comments:

Post a Comment