Thursday, October 19, 2017

Thursday, 10/19


Nope. I did not pose or stage it in any way, shape, or form. Honest.

Following Phil's statue unveiling yesterday I posted a few pictures on Facebook, including the two I stuck on here yesterday. One of the pictures that got the most reaction was this one--



A picture that engendered this comment from someone--”you did a gorgeous job of setting it up. I just love how you draped the branch across the paper”. It's a nice comment, and I appreciate it when someone has a nice reaction to a picture I shot. There's only one problem—I didn't set it up. I didn't drape the branch across the paper.

All I did was see something and pushed the shutter button.

Allow me to explain. At the unveiling I was very close to Phil, so close that he kept looking over at me and making comments. To get that close I had to scrunch down near a sign in the park and plant myself in the dirt. It was a great vantage point; not only was I not blocking anyone behind me, but I also had a front-row seat to the event. But because I was scrunched down I couldn't hold on to my program. I had to set it on the ground. Since it was slightly breezy out part of a dead flower blew over onto the program sitting in the dirt, and during a break in the action I glanced down and saw what I thought was a nice picture, which I then shot.

And that's the picture I posted.

Like I said, I didn't set it up in any way except for putting something on the ground, and that was only thanks to my lack of three hands. I didn't stage it, I didn't artfully move anything around; heck, I'm not THAT good of a photographer. I just happened to glance down, notice something that looked nice, and took a picture of it.

That's how I take most of my pictures, actually. I'm not a good photographer. I'm just a lucky one, I guess.

Anyway, I'm glad so many people enjoyed seeing that particular shot, along with the rest I posted. As happens so many times in my (photographic) life, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. And luckily, I usually have a camera to help prove it.


(jim@wmqt.com)

(PS--speaking of the guy who was the center of attention Tuesday, it's his birthday today.  So if you happen to see him around, wish him a happy 88th!)

No comments:

Post a Comment