Monday, October 9, 2017

Monday, 10/9

You know—I had literally forgotten about it. And when I say “literally”, I actually do mean “literally”. I totally forgot about it.

Those of you who read this on a regular basis know that it was a busy summer for History Jim. I had four different projects I was working on. Because I started research and the like in January, the work on them tended to run together, and except for actual shows themselves all four ended up as a bit of a blur in my mind. So maybe it wasn't too much of a surprise when someone told me last weekend that they really enjoyed my article in “Harlow's Wooden Man”, and my response was “What article”?

Yes, I'm that dumb. One of my four projects this year was to write an overview of the history of alcohol in Marquette, which I did, and I totally forgot about it.

I are an idiot.

In my defense (and there's really not much of a defense to forgetting you wrote a 3,000 word story on people drinking booze) I did it a long time ago. In order to get it out of the way I wrote in in May and early June of this year, sending it to the editor before my tours kicked off for the summer. And since I was still working on putting those tours together after finishing the article it just kind of slipped from my mind until someone told me how much they enjoyed it.

Oops.

I don't know what to say; it's just one of those things. At least I'm glad that someone enjoyed it enough to mention it to me. If they hadn't liked it, I might not have even remembered doing it until, oh, three or four years from now when I might be going through a few computer files and wonder why I had so many pictures of Andy's and Remie's stuck on my hard drive.

Because, you know, that's the way my mind apparently works.

Anyway, I'm glad that everyone who enjoyed it enjoyed it, and I'm glad that at least one person mentioned it to me. Because without that mention; well, let's just say that it might have been quite a while before I even remembered that I wrote it. To quote a famous American philosopher--

Some days, I amaze even myself.

(jim@wmqt.com), who promises more on History Jim tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment