Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Wednesday, 10/18

The honor could not have gone to a more deserving individual.

They dedicated Phil's statue yesterday, an event so important that I skipped out of work for a while to attend, and I'm glad I did--



I know Phil's always said that statues are for dead people, but I think I can speak for every single person attending yesterday's ceremony that we were glad that the honoree is still with us. Aside from being an icon of downtown Marquette (and for those of you not from Marquette, Phil's been around forever, washing the windows of downtown businesses and tending the flowers every year in the now renamed Phil Niemisto Pocket Park), Phil's one of those classic characters that you're lucky to know once or twice in your life. From the stories that he shares about growing up in the Marquette Orphanage to the fashion advice we give each other (mostly about colorful ties, something we both tend to favor) to the different private jokes he shares with everyone he passes (for me & Loraine, it's his joke that “it must be Saturday”, because that's the day we usually run into him as a couple), Phil's one unique guy.

And a guy we're all the better for knowing.

As I see the statue now sitting on the bench, ready for selfie taking with anyone who wants, I have to chuckle at the historic irony of where it's placed. This is something Phil & I have discussed; I don't know if he's mentioned it to anyone else, so I'll share it now. But when he was growing up he and a bunch of kids from the Orphanage would often be taken over to the WDMJ studios to sing a few songs. After all, back in the 30s, radio stations needed local talent to fill the hours they were on the air, so they would often have singers, musicians, story tellers, and yes, kids from the Orphanage come in and perform. That was Phil's first exposure to the public eye.

Anyway, back then, WDMJ was owned by the Mining Journal, and the Mining Journal's building (which included the WDMJ studios) was located on a piece of land in downtown Marquette. Specifically, the Mining Journal building and WMDJ studios were located the piece of land that is now the Phil Niemisto Pocket Park. As Phil jokes, he started his public life on that piece of land, and he'll wrap up his public life in that very place, the same piece of land where his statue will now sit for years to come.



And I can't think of a guy who deserves it more.


No comments:

Post a Comment