Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Wednesday, 8/2

Sure, for a week I didn't see one at all. Now I see them everywhere I go.

If you recall, when I gave my dorky license plate count update on Monday, I mentioned that one of the states I usually see multiple times during the week in which I keep track—Oregon--was conspicuous by its absence. I didn't know why, it just was.

Well, that was last week. I ended the count Sunday night. In the 48 or so hours since, I have seen FOUR different vehicles with plates from Oregon, including two back-to-back on Front Street in Marquette, which I assume were traveling together. Either that, or I had a quick out-of-body experience and was teleported to Portland for an instant.

I'm gonna guess it was the former of those, though.

So, what gives, Oregon? You're usually one of the most dependable states in my dorky little count. I usually see you in the first few days of counting. But why not this year? Why did you decide to hide in silence the whole week I was counting license plates, and then burst forth like the slimy creature in “Alien” as soon as the week is over?

I thought you were cool, Oregon.

Oh well. The one thing I always say about this dorky little project of mine is that it's not scientific. I have no control over when and where I see the plates; I just count them when I see them. I'm sure there were visitors from Oregon in Marquette last week; I just didn't happen to be in the same place with them at the same time. I'm sure there might be ways to make my little survey a lot more statistically valid, so I'd have a better chance of maximizing my chances to see plates, but you know what?

It's a fun little thing I do because I'm a dork. It's not THAT important.

I'm assuming I'll see a bunch more Oregon plates in the next few days, like the state is mocking me, or something. But that's okay. It's just one of those things. However, if I start seeing license plates from New Mexico, which is the other state I usually see but didn't this year, then I'll know something really strange is going on!


No comments:

Post a Comment