Monday, August 21, 2017

Monday, 8/21

Welcome to Eclipse Day!

As I write this I have no idea if we're even going to be able to see the partial eclipse that'll happen in the skies above us this afternoon. I'm hopeful, but whenever I've been hopeful about the weather this year I've been disappointed.  As I type this there are some foggy-type clouds on the horizon, but otherwise (at least as of 8:41 am) it's looking good.  So like I said, I'm hopeful.  I'm doing this for two reasons, the first being that, as you all know, I'm a space geek and I get geeked out by things like this. Aside from a cloud-obscured partial eclipse back when I was in college I haven't been able to see a solar eclipse in person. Lunar eclipses, yes; a lot of them, in fact.

But solar eclipses? Not so many.

The other reason I keep checking? The eclipse is occurring when I'm in the air today, and I figured it would be interesting to actually broadcast from outside when it's happening. Since it would be kind of self-defeating to attempt the broadcast if it's cloudy, it'd be nice if we could see it. Hence, the obsessive checking of the forecast and the cloud deck.

I wanna know from where I'll be working for a bit today.

By the time some of you read this the eclipse will be over and you'll have a pretty good idea of what I did today. But for those of you reading this in real-time, keep your fingers crossed. I;d rather see it live than watch it on TV!

***

By the way, if you're curious, the “21 Pictures” show outside of the History Center Friday night went well. Around 100 people showed up, which isn't too bad considering it was only around 60 degrees and the clouds were just finally breaking up at showtime. It sounds like everyone had a good time, and were as “wow”-ed as much by some of the pictures as was I when I first saw them. So thanks to everyone who trooped out, and to those who are wondering--

Yes. It IS weird not having to work on anything for the History Center today!


No comments:

Post a Comment