Monday, August 7, 2017

Monday, 8/7

Going there and coming back are two entirely different things.

In a little over three weeks Loraine and I will leave for our little week and a half getaway in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, and Germany. We're looking forward to it, and it should be a grand time all around. In fact, I'm in the middle of putting together a preview of the journey for our trip blog, and I'll share it here soon, as well.

Of course, to get to Europe and back you have to fly. You, in fact, have to do a LOT of flying. As I've been getting ready to go I've come to realize that the flight there is a whole lot different than the flight back. And here's why.

On the flight over, you're excited. You're full of adrenaline. You're ready to start a new adventure. And because it's an overnight trip, you try to sleep a little. It doesn't always work, but even if you lay there for a few hours with your eyes closed, that's most of the flight over.

But on the way back, not so much. Your trip's over, and you just want the flight to go as quickly as possible. But because of the way the schedule goes, it's a daytime flight. You can try to sleep, but it really doesn't work. It's just one very long flight in the middle of one very long day with several flight. This year, for instance, we'll leave London around 11am and get into Chicago at 2pm, which makes it an 8-hour flight. This is AFTER getting up really early and flying from Dusseldorf to London, and before we make the final flight from Chicago to Marquette.

See? Not quite as exciting as flying into Dusseldorf to start a new adventure, is it?

Over the years, I've developed a system to try & get me through the long flight back to the U.S. You know how you have to pack a lot of toys for kids on a car trip? Well, for the flight home, I basically do the same for myself. I always take the newest Vanity Fair magazine and save it for the flight home. I get a bunch of logic puzzles from a great website so I can do them during the flight (and this year, I even remembered the answers for them, too, unlike (ahem) last year). I also stick a couple of 5-part episodes of the old radio show “Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar” into my iPod. All that is shoved into my backpack before we leave, and isn't touched until our flight home is in the air. Between all that, a few meals, whatever magazines the airline has in the seat, getting up to stretch a few times, and (assuming the person in front of me doesn't lower their seat) writing the final blog of the trip, I can usually make it through a loooooong day.

Of course, then once we're in Chicago (and through Customs) we have five hours to kill before our flight to Marquette, but at least you can wander around an airport and kill a little time that way.

However, I'd prefer not to think of the flight home just yet. I'm ready for it and my backpack is packed for it; I'd just rather not think about it yet. That's a month and a three days away. It's the flight over that's the important thing right now, and that's a mere 23 days from today.

It's starting to get close!



No comments:

Post a Comment