Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tuesday, 8/15

Here's the deal—remember how I was thinking of taking yesterday off? Well, obviously, I didn't.
I AM, however, taking a half day, so I can walk the beach, run the streets, and do something I haven't done even once yet this summer—take pictures of flowers.

So with that in mind, I'm gonna leave you with something I wrote a couple of summers ago. Back tomorrow with, I'm guessing, pictures of flowers to share!



(as originally posted 8/8/15)

Sometimes I wonder how we make it through a dinner together.

Loraine and I make it a point to have dinner together every night we can. It's a chance for us to catch up, and a chance for us to have some of the, well, strangest dinner table conversations around. Unlike me, Loraine grew up exposed to classic country music. She's a Top 40/rock girl through and through, but she does know a little about old country music. She told me about a song from the early 70s with one of those stereotypical early 70s song names, and, of course, me being me, I got it all wrong, so much so that I was walking around our apartment convinced that the name of the song was this--

“You Ain't Women Enough To Be My Man”.

Now, you'd think that I'd be intelligent enough to realize that my version of the song title doesn't make a lot of sense; at least, it wouldn't have mad a lot of sense when the song came out in the early 70s. But no...I just wandered throughout the house repeating the title over and over, driving my dear wife insane to the point that she had to pull a reference book out to show me that the title of the song is NOT “You Ain't Women Enough To Be My Man” but is instead what she told me it was originally--

“You Ain't Women Enough To Steal My Man”

Well, that's pretty much the same, isn't it?

I have no idea why I heard it as “You Ain't Women Enough To Be My Man”; of course, I have no idea why I hear half the things I hear and think half the things I think. And in my (pitiful) defense, I don't know much (if anything) about country music from the early 70s. The song title probably COULD'VE been “You Ain't Women Enough To Be My Man”. It's almost as good as something along the lines of “You Don't Have a License (To Drive Me Up The Wall)”. But, as often happens, I was mistaken. I was highly mistaken. Fortunately, I have Loraine around to set me straight.

Even if I do think that “You Ain't Women Enough To Be My Man” would be a pretty good country music song title.

8-)

So with apologies to Loretta Lynn and to my dear wife, here's the song in its original form and with its correct title, if you're curious--




Hopefully, one of these days I'll actually get something like this right!

No comments:

Post a Comment