Thursday, August 24, 2017

Thursday, 8/24

For once in my life, maybe I need to be MORE optimistic about something.

As those of you who read this on a regular basis know, I'm an optimist. I always see the bright side of things, and am eternally hopeful about things. That's why I was kind of surprised when I went running yesterday morning. I went on my Wednesday run; yes, I run different routes on different days. And as I was running through Shiras Park, two thoughts hit me, the first being that because I'm going to Europe next Wednesday I won't be doing this particular route for another three weeks; September 13th, to be specific.

The other thought? That the next time I do my Wednesday run through Shiras Park the leaves that are now bright green probably won't be so bright or so green.

I don't know why that thought popped into my head. Like I said, I don't usually dwell on the negative side of things. But there was just something so filled with finality in that stupid thought that my mind went where it usually doesn't go. It went to the dark side. And it was weird.

The funny thing about it is that it really is an accurate statement. I won't be in that park for another three weeks, and by then leaves will have started to change. They won't be dead or off the trees or anything, but unless something really strange occurs they will have begun their final journey. And maybe that's what blew my mind—we have gotten to the point of the summer we never really had where we know it's about to end. We can look at a calendar or glance at tree leaves and know that there are only a handful of days left before a drastic change comes over our lives.

Go ahead. Just call me Mr. Happy Sunshine, or something.

I'm pretty sure these weird feeling stem from this—the crappy summer we've been through (and that I've been whining about incessantly in here) has not in any way recharged my batteries. Maybe I haven't gotten enough sun the past few months; maybe I just haven't been able to reach the minimum amount of fun in the summer sun that's required to then face an Upper Michigan winter (with an adjoining fall & spring that often mimic winter). But the thought that the leaves will be changing next time I run through one of my favorite parks just blew my mind.

And maybe that's why, for once, I wasn't able to look on the bright side of things. Let's just hope it doesn't happen again.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com), aka Mr Happy Sunshine


No comments:

Post a Comment