Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Tuesday, 8/22

I wasn't sure what to expect. So I guess there's no way I could be disappointed, right?

Eclipse Day has come and gone, and we actually were able to enjoy it here in Marquette. Except for a few high hazy clouds floating here and there, we were able to see the 72% coverage we had here in Marquette. And thankfully, everyone practiced safe viewing--



The hazy clouds actually helped a little with the photography of the eclipse. I was able to capture the eclipse thanks to the sun poking through the clouds and the reflection of the image off the darkened screen of a tablet--



That's right. I used a camera to shoot a reflection off of a tablet. But it worked, so whatever helps, right?

I wasn't quite sure what things would look like at 2:15, when we had the maximum coverage of the sun by the moon. Even so, I was still a little surprised when things really didn't seem that different. It wasn't as bright as it usually is, but it wasn't that much more different. As I mentioned on the air, it was kind of like a December afternoon, when the sun's weak. It's still there. It just isn't as bright as it is on a normal August afternoon.

If there was any surprise about yesterday, that was it.

Thankfully, around here we were able to enjoy it. I know there were chunks of the Midwest that couldn't, so for that we should be grateful. After all, it's not every day you get to live through a solar eclipse, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment