Monday, August 28, 2017

Monday, 8/28

And with two days to go before we leave for Europe, I have to wonder--have I retained enough French to make our trip go smoothly?

I guess we’ll see beginning Thursday.

I’m not fluent in French, nor have I ever been. I’ve just picked up enough, through travels and self-teaching, to get us where we need to go. I don’t have any natural aptitude for language, so every time we leave Europe I seem to forget whatever French I’ve picked up, hence my need to learn it all over again right before we go. And since they speak French in three of the four countries we'll be visiting this week and next...

Sigh. And yeah, I know, it’s not a very efficient way to do things, but when you’re dealing with a brain like mine what do you expect?

If I had to grade myself on whether or not I have enough French crammed into my head, I’d actually have to give myself four different grades, for reading, speaking, listening, and writing the language. I’m actually not too bad at reading it; if I had to grade myself on that, I’d give me a B-. And reading French is the most important thing I need for our trip; after all, I need to understand directions, road signs, and which chocolatey baked goods are which. Reading French, for me, at least, is fairly easy. Even if you don’t know all the words you can make a pretty good guess as to what the sentence or phrase means.

So I guess I have that going for me.

Unfortunately, that’s by far the best of the grades I’d give myself. I can speak enough to either make myself vaguely understood or to make whoever’s listening to me take pity and switch to their English, so let’s give me a C- on that. Listening to a native French speaker speaking French and trying to understand it? D- on that. And writing French? Well, I haven’t even made at attempt at that, aside from whatever’s stuck in my brain learning to read French, so I’ll have to give myself an F+ on that (assuming, of course, F+ is an actual grade).

So let’s average the four grades together--B-, C-, D-, and F+. That’d be, uhm, let me convert the letters to numbers, divide them, and convert them back to letters, and we, uhm, hold on a sec. . .we end up with a D+.

I’m screwed, aren’t I?

Of course, every time we’ve gone to a French speaking country I’ve gone over there with pretty much a D+ average, and we’ve survived. Sure, we’ve had to occasionally rely upon the kindness of (English speaking) strangers, but we seem to have come through with no bruises. And there have been a couple of times when I amazed even myself and pulled French out of my head that I didn’t even know was there, like last year when I almost had an actual multi-sentence conversation with a kind woman in a gift shop. So with any luck that’ll happen again this year when we're in the Belgium-Luxembourg-France portion of our trip.

Just keep your fingers crossed for me, if you would!

Two days to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment