Thursday, July 18, 2024

Thursday, 7/18

I think people need to rethink their definition of the word "legendary".

If you listen on the air, you know I do interviews with people on an almost daily basis. I did one a couple of days ago, and the person with whom I was speaking then put up a social media post saying that he'd be on with the "legendary Jim Koski" that afternoon, and everyone should listen to it..

First of all, thanks for the plug and telling people to listen. Second of all, "legendary"? Me? Are you quite sure about that?

8-)

I always have to laugh when someone calls me "famous" or, in this case, "legendary", because as both you and I know, I'm not. I'm just a dorky little kid who grew up into a dorky adult whose singular talent seems to be a bizarre propensity for showing up in the media on a daily basis. I would save the terms "famous " or legendary" for everyone from Jon Stewart to Princess Diana to Barack Obama. Those people are "famous" and/or "legendary". I'm just, uhm, a dork.

With a propensity for being in the media.

As I've gotten older, though, I have come to realize what might propel people to use those terms when referring to me. In this small pond in which we live I could understand why some people might believe me to be a big fish. I guess I get that, given my propensity for being on TV and radio and newspapers and walking tours. But when I think of the words "famous" or "legendary" I just have to laugh a little, thinking to myself "you really don't know me, do you?" In the grand scheme of things I'm neither famous or legendary, at least on a planetary basis. And to me, that's what's required to be "famous" or "legendary".

But...like I said, as I've gotten older I understand how those words can get thrown around, especially on a local basis. And in a way, it's actually kind of a cool thing. If I'm described as "famous" or "legendary" it means I've made a mark in the area. It means I've made some sort of impression on people. It means I've made a difference.

And in the end, isn't that the most important thing?

I'm guessing that no matter how "famous" or "legendary" I get locally, I'll still have the same reaction to being called those words. Between you & me, I'm neither. But I have gotten to the point where I do recognize how they could apply to a dorky kid turned even dorkier adult.

Even if we both know I'm really not.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment