Monday, July 8, 2024

Monday, 7/8

I wonder if I could make a three-day week work?

First of all, welcome back to reality. Hope your holiday weekend, be it two or three or four days, was restful. Mine was okay; I would have preferred a little less in the way of clouds and a lot more sun, but these days, with the way the weather is changing, I guess we'll take what we can get. But it did make me think about something and that, as we all know, is a dangerous thing.

I enjoyed having four days in a row off. Sure, I had to work like the devil to get those four days off, but it was nice losing, in a small sense, the need of knowing what day it was or where I had to be. And while in my business it would pretty much be impossible, I started to see the appeal of what some people do for their job; namely, working insane hours for a few days and then having a big chunk of time off, week in and week out. Doctors & nurses do it, firefighters do it, aircraft crews do it.

Shouldn't dorks be allowed to do it, too?

8-)

I suppose what I'm thinking of is something along the lines of working three 12 or 13 hour days, and then having four days off. Like I said, in my current job, that's pretty much impossible when you're on the air. But if i wasn't on the air, is that something I might want to try? A 12 or 13 hour stretch is a LOOOOONG time at work, although I've done them many times, so it's not impossible. I guess my wonder is this--by the time you get done with your three 12 or 13 hour days, are you then so exhausted that you spend the first one or two of your four days off sleeping?

If any of you work that way, I'd love to know.

Like I said, this is nothing I will be doing any time soon. After all, having to be on the air kind of precludes it. But after I have a long weekend, like the one we just finished, it's always something that's been in the back of my mind.

After this past weekend, I guess it just moved to the fore of what passes for my mind.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment