Monday, July 22, 2024

Monday, 7/22

I don't get to be a dork this year.

Let me rephrase that, I guess, because as well all know I'm a dorky pretty much every day of every year.  This year I won't be able to, for the first time in over two decades, do my yearly counting of license plates n the week leading up to Art on the Rocks.  I've done it every year since at least 2002, and it always provides me with two things--fodder for these babblings, and an insight into just how popular Marquette has become and just how strong the US economy is.  Back in 2008 during the Great Recession I only saw plates from 17 other states, while last year I saw them from 45.  I'm guessing that with Marquette's exploding popularity and the continued strength of the US economy that I might top that number this year.

But I won't be able to find out.

The reason why?  Well, some of you may know this (although I'm guessing most of you don't), daily blog reader Betsy of downstate Reese--aka Loraine mom's--passed away earlier this month, and her memorial service (and a big family gathering) are set for later this week.  And since, as my sister is fond of reminding me, "family is the most important thing", I have places to be other than here counting license plates..

Betsy's passing, while not entirely unexpected, is still a shock. I feel not only for Loraine but for her dad, Floyd, who was married to Betsy for 60+ years, as well as their entire extended family.  We, of course, always try to get down there at least once a year and visit; it's just a bummer that this year's journey is under such sad circumstances.

But it's all part of the circle of life, I guess.

So the license pate count will have to wait until next year, I guess, unless I decide to just do it every year on another weekend; say, perhaps, NMU's "welcome back" weekend.  We'll have to see.  But for the first time in over two decades it won't be during Art on the Rocks week this year.

But that's okay.  After all, "family is the most important thing".

(jim@wmqt.com)

(ps--if you're in Marquette this week and see a strange license plate, pass it along.  After all, I'm still going to be curious about the whole thing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment