Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Wednesday, 9/6

I'm back. Miss me?

We had a great few days visiting Loraine's parents downstate. Loraine got to hang out with her family, we got to go to Aldi (seriously, Aldi, you have stores in Escanaba, Iron Mountain, and Caro (a small town near Reese), but not Marquette????), and I got to explore a place that (as I mentioned last week) is nothing like Marquette.

But it does have a certain small-town charm all its own. The prime example? In a parking lot on the main street of Reese there's a stand that offers fresh produce--


There's actually an amazing selection there, and it's all on the honor system. You take what you want, and you leave the money for it in a lock box. That's not a business model that would work any place other than a small town, and it's one of those things that makes a place like Reese feel so unique.

I even had to go back and get more of these--

Yum.

By the way, did you enjoy the heat wave in Marquette while we were gone? As I mentioned last week, it seems like every time we leave the UP you get nice weather, and it was once again true. While it was nice downstate (if a bit cloudy) temperatures in Marquette were 10 or so degrees higher than they were in Reese, 350 miles to the south.

So...you're welcome? And yes, I AM laughing at the irony of it all. Because if I didn't laugh, I'd be driven insane by the fact that Mother Nature seems to have it in for me this “summer”.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

8-)

Except, perhaps, that Mother Nature might REALLY have it in for me.; Tonight's the night the History Center is holding their “Happy Hour” fundraiser, the first portion of which is me hosting a walking tour around downtown Marquette. And after she gave you the gorgeous weather of the past few days, what are we supposed to have today?

Yup. Rain, clouds, and dropping temperatures. Not cool, Mother Nature, not cool.

We'll see what happens, I guess. Wish us luck!

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment