Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Wednesday, 9/13

If it is a gift, it's one I'm fortunate to have. And one that I don't take lightly.

As usual, I did my TV thing Monday night. Unusually, though, I had a studio audience, as WZMQ was hosting a “Business After Hours”, a local networking event where professionals from around the area show up to drink and to schmooze. A few of them were allowed to watch us do the actual newscast, so I wrote a bit that (I hoped) would generate a few laughs.

Thankfully, it did. And it prompted someone who was in the audience to come up to me afterwards and tell me that they thought I had “gift” that's quite precious during these days of discord and dismay.

The gift of making people laugh.

In all honesty, I had never even pondered the subject. I just do what I do. But as I've spent the past 36 hours mulling over what she said, it got me to thinking. And, that, as we all know, can be a very dangerous thing. But maybe in a way, she's right. There are an awful lot of people on this planet who do nothing but sow the seeds of the discord and dismay that are prevalent these days. I mean, it's easy to be bitter and cynical and play to an audience that's primed for bitterness and cynicism. But to make people feel good, or at least help them smile & spend a few seconds out of the bitterness & cynicism, takes work. You have to appeal to their better nature, instead of their basest impulses. You have to be on a higher plane.

And maybe I'm just fortunate that I'm apparently able to do that.

Like I said, I had never looked at it from that angle. I just go out there and try to put an occasional smile on an occasional face. I really don't know if I have a “gift” so much as I try to live in the light instead of the dark. Maybe my gift is is refusing to dive into the bitterness and cynicism that marks modern day life. Maybe my gift is just being goofy or being “light” or by looking for the smile instead of the frown. I don't know. Except for the past 36 hours, it's something about which I've never thought.

But you'd better believe I'm thinking about it now.

By the way, if you wanna see what prompted the comment from an audience member (and check out a LOT of goof) just click HERE

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment