Monday, September 11, 2023

Monday, 9/11

Because it's Marquette, I'm not quite sure which one it is.

Attached to a street light a few doors down from where I live is this--



Yes, you are seeing that right. It's the beat up frames for someone's sunglasses, attached to the light pole by a small cord. But because it's Marquette, I'm not sure WHY the sunglasses are stuck on the light pole. Because it's Marquette, it could be there because someone lost them and someone else wants to whoever lost them to find them.

Or, because it's Marquette, it could be art. Maybe, just maybe, someone put them there as, I dunno, a statement on the disposable aspect of our modern day society.

Because it's Marquette, it could be either one.

I'm not saying that in a bad way. Marquette is just one of those places filled with artists, and often time those artists will try to make a statement with “found objects”...things you find just lying around on the ground. Like, you know, a pair of sunglasses that just happened to sitting in the grass.

Hence, my confusion as to why the sunglasses were stuck to the light pole.

If they disappear some time soon, I'll trust that whoever lost them found them and took them home (or, I guess, that city workers found them and wanted to remove them from a utility pole). But if they remain there for some time, allowing passersby to ponder the statement that someone is trying to make, I'll know they're art.

I just happen to live in a place where either is a possibility.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment