Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Tuesday, 9/12

I don't know if this an answer, but it might be.

As you may recall, I spent a great deal of this “summer” complaining about how cool & wet it was. Let me say thank you for indulging me in that; I hope it didn't get too redundant for you. As it turns out, though, I wasn't the only person who complained a lot. Over the past few weeks I've run into over half a dozen individuals who lamented the fact that we really didn't have much of a “summer” this year. So it wasn't just me. A lot of people had that perception.

And I think I have an idea as to why.

If you take “summer” as the months of June, July, & August, you have 13 weeks (and weekends) in there. The weekend is when most people like to get out and enjoy the season, perhaps even trying to play outside all day long Saturday and/or Sunday. But this year, out of those 13 weekends, we only had five that had sun (or, more accurately, sun filtered through smoke haze) both days. The other eight weekends had at least one day with rain. In a couple of cases, both days were washed out.

So if you were looking to have some summer fun this “summer”, only 38 percent of the weekends (just over a third) provided you a full opportunity to do that. The other 62 percent of weekends?

At least a partial washout.

I mean, I don't know if this affected people's perception of “summer” this year at all. I could be totally off-base. I often am.  But seeing as how adults get most of their summer fun on the weekends, and the majority of weekends were filled with at least one day of rain and cool and gloomy conditions...

Well, maybe there's something there. Maybe.

To quote a great American philosopher, that's all I'm gonna say about that. But if you're one of the growing number of people who felt we may have been robbed (just a little) of the one season around here during which we recharge our batteries from the other three seasons when we fave the (gulp) possibility of snow, there's a one potential reason.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment