Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Wednesday, 11/2

Because I have to go off and play TV dork in a few minutes, I'm going to leave you with something I wrote seven (gasp!) years ago. The funny thing is? Someone basically said the same thing to me last week.

Who knew?

And before I do go, I also have to wish my favorite brother in the world a happy birthday! Sure, he's my only brother, so he kind of wins that title by default, but it is Marc's big day today, so if you see him around wish him a  happy birthday. Or throw something at him. I'll leave that choice up to you.

Happy (big) birthday, Marc!

(jim@wmqt.com)

*****

(as originally published 11/10/15)

Jim Koski, Fashion Icon? Excuse me while I go off in the corner and laugh.

We've been shooting “High School Bowl” a lot recently; four episodes in the last 11 days, in fact. And twice in those last 11 days I've had great conversations with young men, players both, who were wearing a dark shirt, a colorful tie and jeans. Curious as to why, I asked one of them, and he replied “I'm just emulating the Jim Koski look”.

The Jim Koski “look”? Excuse me once again. I have to go off in the corner and laugh a little more.

Okay; I'm back. There are two things to discuss here, the first being that there being that someone actually thinks there's a “Jim Koski Look”. I wear dark shirts and colorful ties (for the most part) on TV because that's what looks good on me. My skin tone is a little darker than usual, and dark clothing looks better on me that light clothing. And the colorful ties? Well, I'm a big fan of contrast, and you can't contrast a dark shirt much better than with a colorful tie. And as for the jeans? Well...

That's what I wear. I just guess I never thought of it as a “look”. Now I know better.

The other thing? That people would actually WANT to “emulate” the Jim Koski “look”. I mean, c'mon...aren't there people out there who are much more deserving and much more capable of being a fashion “icon” than me? Six days a week I'm dressed in a T-shirt and shorts (or jeans if it's below freezing). Just because I get semi-dressed up one day a week, just to be on TV, doesn't mean that I'm worth “emulating”.

People should be aiming a LOT higher than me!

8-)

Yet, at least two different young men from two different schools think enough of the way I dress to want to “emulate” my “style”. And I have to admit that, despite all my wonderment over the situation, I suppose I'm partly flattered, as well. Not that these young men think I'm worth emulating; no, I'm more flattered that I've been able to reach through all the clutter of modern life and make a connection with some of the young people I deal with on the show. When I took the gig, I had no idea how the students would react to a new host, especially one who was younger and (much) dorkier than the previous host. But like I mentioned on the “Year in Review” show last season, I think a lot of the students see me for who I am—someone exactly like them, just 30 years older.

Because that's kind of what I am, for better or for worse.

So maybe it's not so surprising a few people would consider me a fashion “icon”. After all, I'm apparently just a kid at heart, albeit one who knows how to pick out clothes. Who knew, right?

And with that, I'm off again to go spend a few minutes laughing in the corner!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment