Monday, November 14, 2022

Monday, 11/14

I'm probably gong to sound like an old fart saying this, but you know what?

I'm gonna miss Parade Magazine.

You may know of Parade as that supplement you received in your Sunday newspapers, at least back when there were Sunday newspapers and back when you actually subscribed to them. Or you may know of Parade as the magazine that's the butt of jokes on several long-running TV sitcoms. No matter which way you know it, you may (or may not) be saddened to know that after this past weekend it is no more.

Like everything else in the publishing world, diminishing ad revenue has caused it to go bye-bye. I guess there just wasn't a big enough market for the people who use walkers or coin collections, the two main advertisers in the magazine for the past several years. And I do realize that the magazine itself did skew old. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I was the youngest person who actually read it n a weekly basis.

And that's bad because, as you know, I ain't that young myself.

I don't know why I actually enjoyed reading it. I don't know if it was the fact that you could pick up a trivia nugget or a book recommendation on occasion, or if it was just because I've been reading it since I was a (admittedly atypical) kid. I've stuck with it all these decades, and that's why the news that this past weekend's edition will be the final one in print was a bummer. The magazine will live from now on online, but it won't be the same.

That's life these days, though. I can't say I'm surprised, even though I'm a little disappointed. So RIP Parade Magazine. Thanks for years of enjoyment. And although I'm sure they won't say it, thanks on behalf of all of the TV writers who probably secretly enjoyed you, as well.

****

Before I go I have to note that my favorite five year old in the world becomes my favorite six year old in the world. It's my nephew Abel's birthday today, and I'm sure he's having a great day.  He's a very curious young man, and every time we're together the two of us sneak out on a little adventure while the adults are doing, you know, adult things. Sometimes we even make it back in one piece.

So Happy Birthday, Abel. I can't wait to see what kind of trouble fun we get into next!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment