Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Wednesday, 11/16

It's looking more and more like Loraine & I won't be able to play soccer again for a while.

The snow that landed last weekend made us wonder about whether or not we'd have a clear pitch that we could dribble a ball upon, and the fact that it's not getting above freezing for (apparently) forever means the snow won't melt any time soon. So that means that our weekly habit of going out to Kaufman and kicking our collection of orphan balls around ended with a little practice session we had last Friday when we both had the day off.

Bummer.

It's funny that we picked up this habit at this stage in our lives, but it's a blast. While I'm not anywhere near the natural athlete that Loraine is, I've seemed to taken to it quite quickly. And unlike most sports, I actualy seem to have one skill that translates well to soccer—I'm ambi, uhm, footerous. I can kick equally well with my right and left legs, which apparently is a prized skill in the sport. Aside from that, playing soccer really burns off the calories, and that's allowed us to indulge in a few (okay, a lot of) ooey-gooey goodies that perhaps would not indulge in otherwise.

And that's sad. I mean, we won't stop eating the goodies, but now we'll have to find another way to burn off the calories.

I will, though, miss the fun we have playing.

As an example of that, a couple of years ago Loraine and I were at Lower Harbor Park playing keep-away. One of us would get the ball, and the other would try not to let the other have it. Loraine's a lot better at it than am I, and by the end of this session we just kind of dissolved into giggles over the whole thing.

Flash forward to the next day, when I get a call at work from a lady who saw us giggling in the middle of Lower Harbor Park. She just wanted to let me know that it was, and I quote, “one of the sweetest things I've seen in quite a long while”. She thought it was neat that we still “play” together and have so much fun when we do it. It almost, she joked, restored her faith in humanity.

I don't know if our weekly soccer sessions QUITE meet that threshold, but we do have a lot of fun when we play. And now, it appears as if it might be a few months until we get to do it again.

At the risk of repeating myself...bummer.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment