Monday, October 31, 2022

Monday, 10/31

Well, I made it, just under the wire. I managed to watch “It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” before Halloween actually occurred.

I'm so proud of myself.

For whatever reason over the past five or ten years I seem to have become a Halloween Scrooge, in that I don't dress up, I don't give out candy, I don't decorate, and I don't go to parties. In fact, the only Halloween tradition I do seem to still have is a yearly viewing of “Pumpkin” assuming, of course, I remember it's Halloween. And I can find the DVD. Well, I did find it, I popped it in, and I watched it, continuing my one Halloween tradition. Unless, of course, you count my saying the lines along with the cartoon characters as a tradition while Loraine laughs and/or rolls her eyes while sitting next to me and watching it. Then I have two traditions.

I say the lines along with the characters because I've seen the cartoon what...50 times in my life? And after you watch it that many times you tend to know what's coming up next. In fact, it's so bad that I bought a soundtrack CD for the show a couple of years ago. All it has it the background music as it's presented in the show. Listening to it the first time I was actually saying the lines as the music cues came through the speakers.

And if you think Loraine rolls her eyes when I do that while watching the cartoon, you should have seen her when I was doing it while listening to the CD!

But now that's done, and I might actually start a new one, as well. I have a UP ghost story ready to tell during “Life in the 906” on 19 News tonight, and who knows—if it goes over well, maybe I'll make it a yearly habit. After all, everyone likes to be scared on a day like today, right?

So there you go. Maybe I'm not quite as much of a Halloween Scrooge as I thought. So on that note, have yourself a great Halloween. If you dress up, I hope you win an award. If you give out candy, I hope you get hundreds of kids showing up (or just a few, if you enjoy eating all the left over chocolate you have). All in all, I just want to say--

Happy Pumpkin Day!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment