Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Wednesday, 4/27

Maybe today's the day we'll get a plague of locusts.

This has been a weird week so far, at least weather-wise. Sunday it was sunny and 77 here in Marquette; the beaches were packed, and Loraine and I were able to to get out and kick soccer balls for the first time in a loooong time.

Then Monday rolled around, and by yesterday afternoon?




Ah, spring in the UP. You gotta love it, doncha?

8-(

I think the sneak peak of summer we had Sunday has driven everyone right up to the edge of their sanity, especially now that we're back to having snow and temperatures in the 30s for the next few days. As I've written in here several times recently we've had a very cold & wet April. Flowers that have usually popped out by now are staying underground, and grass that slowly turns green has thus far remained that attractive shade of brown that makes Marquette seem like less of the paradise that it usually is.

I mean, I know “spring” has to come sometime. That's the way the planet's weather works, no matter how much we as humans keep screwing it up. But I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those years where we jump from “late winter” right into summer. You know the kind of year; one week it's rainy and in the 40s, the next it's in the 70s, and then it stays that way. Not that I would complain about that, but I do know there are people around here who actually enjoy the concept of a “spring”, and I wouldn't want to begrudge them that.

So we'll see how the next few days turn out. But like I said, nothing would surprise me anymore. So if a plague of locusts just happens to pop up this afternoon, don't be shocked.

It's just one of those years.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment