Friday, April 22, 2022

Friday, 4/22

Because I’ve been listening to a lot of their music recently, because I haven't written about them for at least a month, and because I don’t have anything else to write about today, here we are--


Jim’s top 10 Beatles songs. Ever.  Your opinions may vary.


10. “I Wanna Hold Your Hand”. I first remember hearing this song when I was just a couple of years old. It’s stuck with me in the 210 years since.

9. “Magical Mystery Tour”. A guilty pleasure for some people, perhaps, but an amazing guilty pleasure, you must admit!

8. “Ticket To Ride”. John Lennon once called this “the first heavy metal song”. I used to think he was joking, but if you listen to some of the chords in the song, and the way it’s structured, you get an idea of what he’s talking about.

7. “Twist & Shout”, the only song on this list members of group didn’t write. In the same interview where John Lennon called “Ticket To Ride” the first heavy metal song, he also said that, in the later years of the group, he would process and distort his voice because he hated the way he sang. I beg to differ, Mr. Lennon. Listen to yourself on this tune, and tell the world that again.

6. “All You Need Is Love”. Groovy, man.

5. “Got To Get You Into My Life”. ‘Cuz I grew up liking songs with horn arrangements. No other excuse needed.

4. “Norwegian Wood”. Between the sitar and the lyrics (one of the first they wrote about real live happenings, and not just about “girls”), this one (at least in my opinion) is one of those great “transition” songs of theirs, showing the evolution from what they started out as to what they’d soon become.

3. “Eleanor Rigby”. As far as Beatles’ songs with string quartets, I like this one much better than “Yesterday”. In fact, check out the version on “Anthology 2” that has JUST the strings, and no vocals. It’s the ultimate in Karaoke!

2. “Something”. Like “Eleanor Rigby”, I used to love this song because of the string arrangement. But then after listening to it several thousand times on a iPod, I’ve decided I love it because of the string arrangement and because of Paul McCartney’s harmony vocal in the middle of the song.

1. “A Hard Day’s Night”. After all, it has perhaps the world’s most famous guitar chord as an open. How could you ask for more?

And you? Take a listen to some of their music if you're not sure. After all, there are worse ways to spend part of a weekend, right?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment