Thursday, December 2, 2021

Thursday, 12/2

I'm thinking Greek for Christmas. And yes, I'm talking about food for the fourth day in a row now. You have a problem with that?

8-)

Covid has wrecked many holiday traditions for a lot of us, and for Loraine and me it's put the kibosh on two very important ones. The first is that my parents have escaped to Florida and we won't be having Christmas dinner with them (at least in person). The second is that the Greek Orthodox Church in Marquette is once again not having their holiday bake sale, something that would normally be occurring this weekend. This happened to us last year, as well, so on Christmas Day 2020 I tried my hand at making Greek food for the first time.

And since it didn't suck I guess I'll be trying it again this year, as well.

In all total honesty I would MUCH rather be eating Greek food baked by people who know how to do it, by people who've been doing it all of their lives. But I certainly do understand why the bake sale isn't happening again this year. Maybe next year, right?

Even if that's what we wished for last year.

I think I'm going to try Pastitsio again. It's kind of a Greek lasagna with all kinds of spices (including cinnamon) and a bechamel sauce on top. When I made it last year it tasted like it was supposed to, although it didn't look like the Pastitsio made by Greek ladies who know what they're doing. I think I know where I zigged instead of zagged (including the type of pasta I used for the base) so I'm confident it'll look better this year. I have no illusions that it'll actually look like I know what I'm doing, but I'm confident that it'll look better than it did last year.

And yes, I realize I'm the only one who cares about that. But I still do care about it.

I'm also pondering whether or not to try baking some of the amazing Greek desserts you can usually get at the bake sale. I didn't last year; making the Pastitsio was daunting enough as it was. But this year I might try something simple. I mean, I won't be making Baklava or anything (especially anything with Phyllo dough). But melomakarona (Greek spice cookies) or a Greek orange spice cake?

We'll have to see how ambitious I get. I still have a couple of weeks in which to figure it out. Wish me luck!

****

And on that note, I'm done writing about food for the week. Honest, I am. Something non-food tomorrow!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment