Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Tuesday, 6/1

It's a tragedy through which no one should have to suffer.

First of all, hope you had a great holiday weekend. We did with Loraine's parents.  In fact, we even got them out on a soccer pitch, where Loraine's mother assisted me with a goal while her dad shot a couple of balls past me in the net.

I hope they had as much fun as we did.

However, they did inform me that they lived through the aforementioned tragedy, something so heinous and mind-blowing that no one should ever have to deal with it, much less people for whom I have a good amount of affection.

Two weeks ago, just as their lilacs were starting to bloom, a hard freeze hit the area of the Thumb where they live. It killed the blossoms, and even some of the leaves on the trees, which means they had no lilacs at all this year.

Oh, the horror. The horror.

Thankfully, and perhaps with a little luck involved, they got up here just in time to see this--



So, needless to say, a nice chunk of their four-day visit was spent stopping at every lilac tree we saw while we were out walking so they could sniff the ambrosia which they had been so painfully denied. I mean, I would've been spending most of my weekend doing that, anyway, but it was so much sweeter that they were able to enjoy it, too.

Sure, it means that it took a little longer to get where we were going, but it was a sacrifice we were more than happy to make.

Now, it's back to reality, at least for a little bit. I have that Jim Koski ™ walking tour coming up tomorrow night, and then a string of 80 degrees days in the forecast (and nary a 41 degree day to follow up). Ah, June.

It really IS the most wonderful time of the year!

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment