Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Wednesday, 9/9

 It'll look different. But it'll still happen, and this year, that's all we can ask.

I've had several people ask if we'll be doing “High School Bowl” this season, and I'm happy to say that we will. In fact, we had a little gathering about how it'll look and how we'll be doing it, and I have to say that when you watch the first episode of the show in November you may not recognize it.

But it will still be “High School Bowl”.

There will be changes aplenty, thanks to social distancing requirements. There will be three students on a team instead of four, they'll be sitting at desks with barriers between them, and there won't be a live studio audience. Because of the way the set will be laid out, you'll also be seeing a lot of “boxes” on your screen. In fact, there may be up to four at a time. One team in one corner, the other team in the opposite corner, and me and the score filling up the rest of the screen.

It'll look more like a sporting event than it ever has.

With one exception, I'm actually looking forward to doing it this way. At its heart, it will still be the same show—a bunch of smart kids and a really dorky host—but it'll look entirely different. You'll see more computer monitors, more screens, and a lot of safety precautions. I think it'll be cool.

Like I mentioned, there is one exception that I'm curious about, and that's the lack of a studio audience. It'll have absolutely no impact at all on the game itself, but I'm wondering if it'll throw me off a little, at least at the beginning. After all, my one talent in life is playing off of an audience, and and if there's no one there to laugh and/or groan at my attempts at humor, I have no idea what it will look like. I'll have to do like I do on the radio, and leave a little pause between the gag and what comes next. That way, the audience can either chuckle or head to the fridge to find rotten fruit to throw at their TV, depending upon just how stupid the thing I said was.

And we all know just how stupid that can be.

We'll find out in three and a half weeks, when we're scheduled to tape the first show in the new format. You'll get to see whether or not it works a month after that.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment