Thursday, September 3, 2020

Thursday, 9/3

 You know, there are days when I wish I could give out tickets to all idiots in the world. And yesterday was one of those days.

Since it was a nice day yesterday I took some time off to play in the sun. I was riding my bike along the Lakeshore Boulevard bike path near the Lake Superior Theater when I noticed a flagrant violation of the law by a pickup truck driver. Despite the fact that the speed limit was 25, despite the fact that they were on a city street, and despite the fact that they were going around a corner, the (male) driver of a silver pickup decided he didn’t want to follow the law, so he sped up and passed the car in front of him.

That's right. On a city street where there’s no passing and while going around a corner, the driver of the silver pickup passed a car that was going the speed limit. And to make it worse, there was an oncoming car going the other way around the corner, meaning the pickup truck driver going the illegal passing had to serve to avoid hitting it, causing the driver of the car he had just (illegally) passed to slam on her brakes, lest she hit the pickup truck.

Oh, the things you see while out for a ride on a sunny day.

It seems like I’ve been mentioning bad drivers in here a lot recently, and if you’re getting sick of it, I do apologize. But WTF?? Am I just noticing these flagrant violations of traffic law more? Are there more drivers out there flagrantly violating traffic laws? Do drivers just not care any more?

I’m not sure if I should be glad that I don’t drive a lot, or be worried because I don’t drive a lot. After all, by walking everywhere, I put myself at the mercy of people who don’t pay attention to pedestrians. But then if I drove everywhere, I’d be putting myself at the mercy of idiots in pickup trucks who decide that it’s okay to pass someone while going around a corner on a city street.

Some people, I tell ya...

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment