Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Tuesday, 9/22

 I have made a decision. It's not one that I'm necessarily happy with, nor one with which I agree 100%, but sometimes you have to do what's best for everyone involve and make the tough call. And that's what I've done here.

I've decided it's time to get rid of the Corona Curls.

If you've been reading this you know I haven't cut my hair for six months (since March 3rd, to be specific). It's turned into a wavy, curly mass of black & gray, sometimes punctuated by purple highlights. Had I been stuck on a desert island like Tom Hanks in “Castaway”, I would've left it to grow and grow. Alas, I'm not on a desert island, and a looming date on my calendar has decreed that the curls should probably go.

It's heck being an adult.

I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about losing the curls. I've enjoyed having long hair. It feels weird on my neck. I've been able to add the aforementioned subtle purple highlights to it a couple of times (including this past weekend) to make it stand out. And unlike shorter hair, at least in my case, if I don't feel like doing anything to it in the morning that's fine. There's enough hair there to cover up a variety of sins.

But as of this upcoming Monday, no more.

I had spoken of a looming date on my calendar, and that date is a week from this Friday, October 2nd. That's the day we start shooting “High School Bowl” for the season. For the past several weeks I've been going back & forth on whether or not to keep the curls. Just sitting around, I'd think they'd be great. Then looking in a mirror, I'd notice that unless I put a lot work into them, they look very unkempt very easily. And since one of the reasons I enjoyed having them was that I didn't necessarily need to put a lot of work into how my hair looked, well...

Let's just say the logic of the situation helped convince me of what I needed to do.

I'm sure I'll think I look like a freak with shorter, more normal hair. I'll notice the spots where it's a little thinner than in other spots, and I'll definitely notice how my ears aren't level with each other, something you don't notice when they're covered with hair. I'll miss playing with it and tucking it behind my ears when it's windy. I'll miss shaking my head and feeling the hair whip around on my neck.

I never would have thought that I'd miss something caused by the Coronavirus, but there you go. This upcoming Monday, the curls go away.

(jim@wmqt.com), who still DOES have a little purple hair dye left, so if I get too bored with shorter, more adult hair...

8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment