Monday, September 28, 2020

Monday, 9/28

 When you sneeze, how many times do you sneeze?

Yeah, I know. It's a strange question. But it is a legitimate one, born of yet another weird discussion between me and the most amazing woman in the world. Usually, when I sneeze, I sneeze twice in a row. In fact, most people, when they sneeze, sneeze twice in a row. But in the past few weeks , since fall hay fever season has kicked in, I seem to be sneezing only once. I sneeze, I wait for the second, and it never comes.

On the scale of important things in the world, that probably ranks last (unless, of course, I have somehow contracted Covid-19 and that's one of the weird symptoms of the disease). But I'm wondering why I've changed, a wonder made even stranger when Loraine informed me that she's always usually only sneezed once.

Married all these years, and there are still things I'm discovering about her.

Actually, the fact that I never realized she only sneezes once at a time probably goes to show just how trivial this whole subject is. But I like to think I'm attuned to what goes on with my body, and when I all of sudden started sneezing only once instead of twice I noticed it, much in the same I'd notice something else weird, like a toe dropping off or a third eye growing out of my forehead.

It was just out of the ordinary.

Now, I sneeze a lot, especially during the summer. It's not (always) allergies. I'm one of those people who has photo-voltaic sneezes. When I step out in the bright light, especially summer sunshine, I sneeze. In fact, I usually sneeze twice. So why I've started sneezing only once instead of the usual twice has me perplexed. Has the diminishing light of Autumn caused me to lose the extra sneeze, and for the first time in my life I've actually noticed it? Has living with a single sneezer all these years finally rubbed off on me?

I have no idea. And while the world won't stop revolving on its axis if I don't find out, it is the kind of thing that might cause someone with a weak mind to lie awake at night pondering the mysteries of it.

Not, of course, that I'm someone with a weak mind. Nope...not me. Not at all.

8-)

Like I said, in the schemes of things it ranks slightly below the mystery of where your socks disappear when you throw them in the dryer. Who knows? Maybe my double sneezing will return, and I'll forget all about it. Or, heck, who knows—maybe I'll keep my habit of single sneezing, and in a year I'll forget that I was ever a double sneezer. Neither way would surprise me.

After, it's just a sneeze (or two).

(jim@wmqt.com)

(ps—the Corona Curls are scheduled to come off tonight. The gory details tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment