Monday, September 21, 2020

Monday, 9/21

 I wonder how long the nutcracker’s been sitting in our kitchen drawer.

Sunday night I was making Loraine dinner, as I do every Sunday night, when I was digging through my drawer of kitchen crap looking for a slotted spoon that had somehow slipped behind everything. Iit took a few minutes, bit I finally found it sitting in the back of the drawer, right on top of a nutcracker.

That's right. We have a nutcracker.

In all honesty, I didn’t even know we had a nutcracker. Loraine herself just remembered having to stick one in a drawer when we moved into our current apartment thirteen years ago. She had no idea when we got it or how we got it, although, as we discovered when we found it underneath the spoon, it must’ve been quite awhile ago, as the nutcracker was still in an unopened package, an unopened package that contained the words “Made in the USA”.

Think about it. When was the last time a company in the U.S. made something like a nutcracker? I’m guessing it’s been awhile. I mean, the U.S. still makes stuff--cars, jet engines, reality TV celebrities--but when was the last time a U.S. company produced something as mundane as a nutcracker?

THAT’S how long the nutcracker has been sitting unopened in our kitchen drawer.

It’s kind of weird it was still there. After all, every time we move we tend to toss whatever we don’t need, thereby saving us both time & cupboard space. But for some reason, the unopened nutcracker had survived over all these years and after all these moves, to be sitting there to act as a landing space for a slotted spoon. Now, I suppose, I'll just have to buy some nuts still in the shell, and see if the thing actually works.

It's either that, or have it sit in the drawer unopened in a drawer for another decade or two. And, in all honesty, would that be fair to the nutcracker we didn't even know we had?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment