Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Wednesday, 7/8


How much do you have lying around?

Loraine came home from work a couple of days ago and was telling me about how banks (the one she works at included) are running short of coins these days. That's probably not a surprise; for most of this year people haven't been out buying things, and many stores aren't even accepting cash these days. So it makes sense that there aren't a lot of coins in circulation these days.

However, that means than stores that do need to give out change (and the banks that supply those stores) don't have what they need, thanks to the jars, bowls, and pockets filled with unused coins. I'm one of those people; I have a jar at work in which I throw change that's just lying around. Knowing banks are in dire need, I emptied the jar into a plastic bag, walked across the street to Loraine's bank, and walked away with $56.12.

That's a lot of change.

If I'm normal (and stop laughing at that statement) and had $56.12 in change, just how many coins are lying around the country in jars and bowls and pockets around the country? Say I represent one household. There are 128.5 million other households in the country. If each one of them has $56.12 in change lying around, that's....let's see here...carry the one...bang the calculator on the desk because the batteries are dying...that's $7, 211,000,000 in coins lying around being unused.

Over seven billion dollars worth!

Now, despite my supposition above I'm not normal. Maybe I had a higher amount of coinage lying around than most people. But maybe not. Maybe there really IS 7 billion dollars worth of quarters, dimes, and pennies lying around. It wouldn't surprise me. If we haven't been able to spend them and we've just been collecting them, there really could be that much floating around.

So do your bank a favor. Get your coins together and schlep 'em over to your favored branch. Who knows—you may have a lot more lying around than you ever thought possible.

Maybe even $56.12 worth!



No comments:

Post a Comment