Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Tuesday, 7/14


Some people just don't get it.

After writing yesterday's blog and stopping by the station to take care of a little work I took off for a bit and went for a stroll in the warm sun. I found myself on Marquette's South Beach, where I came across two people and their dogs, playing in the water. That in itself isn't out of the ordinary, even if they were braking the rules by having their dogs off their leash.

But that's a blog for another day.

The two people and their dogs were in the water. Now because I didn't know if they had heard that swimming at that beach was temporary suspended because of a very high concentration of E Coli in the later, and because I didn't want they or their pets to get sick, I, in a very friendly tone, let them know about the city rule.

They let me know, in no uncertain words, what I could do with myself.

I just let them be. I mean, if they want to get sick or infect their pets with some kind of strange disease, so be it. I was just trying to help. But the fact that there's a certain subset of people these days who refuse to follow rules or refuse to do what's good for them, even if their health depends upon it, just makes me shake my head. The city of Marquette doesn't want you to get sick. It's in the public good and the public interest that you not swim in water with a high concentration of a bacteria that makes you ill. Yet these people didn't care; they were gonna swim in the water no matter what was in it, and no one was going to tell them otherwise.

Especially me.

So if you happen to hear of someone who has become ill thanks to E Coli, I have pretty good idea who it might be. I tried to warn them, and they just didn't care. They were gonna do what they wanted to do, and it didn't matter if there was reason behind the warnings and the rules.

They just don't get it.

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment