Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Wednesday, 7/22


I really have to put my foot down sometime. Otherwise I'll never get it done.

As most of you know, I'm putting together a documentary on Third Street for the Marquette Regional History Center. It started off as being just a super-sized version of those “Pieces of the Past” things I did during the stay-at-home order, but has since grown to include interviews, drone footage, and someone putting it together who keeps finding more and more pictures and more and more stuff to stick in it.

And that someone REALLY needs to stop doing that.

In my defense, though, people keep coming up with pictures I've never seen before and stories I haven't heard. They're also finally saying “yes” when asked for on-camera interviews. But—and this is a big but (and remind me to tell you about what my spell check did when I just typed that)--I have to draw a line somewhere, otherwise I'm never going to get it done and on the History Center's website. When I first thought of doing this I had this naive assumption I could get it put together by July 8th, which was the date of the original cancelled walking tour. Then as people volunteered to help out, I thought I could get it done my the end of July.

And now, unless I stop, draw a line, and say “no more”, I may not get it done before the end of August.

I've been producing chunks of it here and there, and I've actually had to go back and re-edit some of those chunks because I have something else to add. That's good, because there's more stuff in the show. That's bad, because it's taking me so long to put it together and pretty soon it'll be as lengthy as “Titanic”.

And I don't think anyone wants to sit through that.

I guess I'll just have to draw that line, and say “enough”. Even if I get an amazing new picture or a cool new story, I'll just have to leave it out (and maybe make a few “Pieces” out of those extra pieces). I really, really need to just grab my laptop, sit out on the swing in our backyard or on a bench at Williams Park, and edit the you-know-what out of the thing to get it finished.

Wish me luck.

*****

Now, going back to that line earlier in the blog. When I first typed in “and this is a big but”, my spell check added an extra “t” to the final world. In fact, it just did it again when I typed the previous line in.

Geez, Microsoft Word...trying to tell us something here????

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment