Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Wednesday, 1/22


Say hello to my little friends!



Well, okay; they're not THAT little. But they are my new friends. Those of you who've been reading these forever know that one of the few ways I stay sane during winter is by cross-country skiing. Unfortunately, when I decided to go car-free a few years ago I gave up ready access to my favorite ski trails out at Blueberry Ridge, and skiing at the Fit Strip (just a few block walk away) can be hit & miss, depending upon everything from the depth of the snow to how many people have walked their dogs and left dog poop on the tracks.

Because of that, I've kind of kept an eye on a winter alternative, and decided to use a birthday gift from daily blog readers Chick & Darlene (hi, mom & dad!) to check out snowshoes. And I have to say this about that--

I'm glad I did.

I haven't been snowshoeing since I was a kid, so I really didn't know what to expect, but after taking them out Sunday morning after the big storm I was pleasantly surprised. I traipsed around the 10 inches of new powder at Lower Harbor Park for an hour and built up a nice sweat, and despite my fears I wasn't sore the next day. I think the physical motion of snowshoeing is similar to running, and since I do a lot of that my body didn't seem to mind. It also provided the zen-like feeling I get from skiing, especially with Lake Superior right off my shoulder

So I think it worked.

It's actually nice to have an alternative to cross-country skiing during the winter. That way, when the trail hasn't been groomed or a melt has rendered said trail a little unsafe, I now have an alternative. I think my body will like it. I certainly know my sanity will!

****

Speaking of people who've been reading this forever, I was shocked and saddened to hear that daily blog reader Cyndy of Au Train (Cyndy Brown, to those who knew her) passed away unexpectedly over the weekend. Cyndy seemed to be the first person who read these after I posted them, at least based on the notes I'd sometimes get from her, and was awfully nice in sharing lilac photos with me each and every spring. So to her family, especially her son Lee, you have my deepest sympathy and sorrow at your loss.



No comments:

Post a Comment