Monday, January 27, 2020

Monday, 1/27


I think it may be a winter miracle.

I had my usual fun time announcing at the Noquemanon finish line Saturday, even if I was a little hoarse after reading off 1,300 names in a six hour span. Because the weather was just above the freezing mark I was able to even do a little bit of it while standing outside, which is a marked contrast to some years when it's been so cold that I've been huddled next to the space heater in the little motor home they stick me (and the timers) in.

And that's what something hit me.

Here were are, about to wrap up January, which for us in Marquette is by far the coldest month of the year, on average. There have been years when we've gone two weeks in a row without seeing temperatures above zero, and there are few years with a day when the temperatures are above zero. Yet this January has seen almost a dozen days with highs above freezing, and zero days when the temperature went below zero.

What I'm trying to say, people, is that we're having (for us) a really warm January.

It's kind of surprising, too, when you consider that we had cold, below zero snaps in both November and December. I had kind of resigned myself to yet another cold winter, yet here we stand, with four days left to go in the coldest month of the year, and we don't even have any ice in Marquette's Lower Harbor.  Don't believe me?



Sure, there's still snow and it's still gloomy.  When was the last time we could say that the harbor wasn't frozen over on a January 27th?

I'm hoping that it's a sign we're due for a nice spring and a gorgeous summer this year, even though I know winter weather is absolutely no predictor of what will happen as the year wears on. Accuweather had put out a little thing last week mentioning that 80% of US cities were warmer than average last year, and when I put Marquette's zip code in it came as no surprise that we were one of the 20% that was colder than usual.

We're off to a good start to reversing that trend this year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the rest of the winter is mild, as well. As I get older I discover that while I really don't mind snow THAT much (it is, after all, better than, oh, a colonoscopy) the cold is something that I really wish would go away. And before you get on my case about living somewhere where it's cold 10 months out of the year, I know. I'm a walking oxymoron.

And you can take the “oxy” part of it off if you want.

So, if you would, keep your fingers crossed that January is just the start of a trend this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment